|Taree Croquet Club|
The Taree Croquet club was formed following a meeting held on 19th April 1937. The first President was Mrs Chapman.
The question of suitable grounds was discussed and an area of Taree Park was procured from the Municipal Council on the condition that the club put down the lawns, fences and was responsible for all maintenance.
Mr & Mrs Bennett offered their yard for practice whilst the lawn was being prepared, so the members had a fair knowledge of the game by the time the lawn was completed. A small shed was also built to store equipment.
The official opening by Mrs L. O. Martin wife of the Minster of Justice was held on 20th November 1938. There were approximately 120 Ladies including Taree Golf Club associates and members of the Methodist Croquet Group present.
Later an ex-railway shed complete with roll-back doors was erected as a club house. This building was extended in 1960-61 with further additions of a front verandah and store room being added in 1986-87. The building is now heritage listed. In 1953 the laying down of a new lawn was commenced and completed in 1954 at the cost of 261 pounds.
In 1958 Taree joined with Wauchope, Port Macquarie and Wingham clubs to form the Hastings-Manning District Croquet Council, which in later years became the Mid North Coast Croquet Council, with some changes in membership - Taree, Port Macquarie, Forster and Gloucester clubs forming this body.
In 1984 the club members began holding an Annual Lunch and Dutch Auction to raise money to buy equipment and for buildings additions. These functions helped to put the club on a secure financial footing raising approximately $28,000 over the years they were held. Additional amenities which have been added in the nineties are, shelter and garden sheds, a barbecue and a sprinkler system.
The first male member to join the club was Bob Keegan who joined in 1987. Bob lead the way for the significant numbers of male members who currently belong to the club today
An Executive Officers Board was presented to the club at our 60th Anniversary by the Mc Keough and Whitelaw families.
Club coaches and players have conducted classes from U3A group for the past 3 years. This has resulted in many new members for the club and helped to promote croquet in the area.
Our first Association croquet carnival, The Wild Fig Carnival, was conducted in 2004, being a great success. This is now an annual event.
Our first Golf Carnival, Taree-on-Manning, was held in 2005 also being a great success and now an annual event.
We currently have a Membership drive on, and are hoping to attract more new members to this wonderful sport.